- A couple of AGMs ago the Trustees decided that we should increase
our subscriptions to £15 and this kept us nearer the going
rate. Would you be so kind as to check your method of payment, i.e.
if by standing order, that is the right amount, or whether by cheque. The
subscription year begins on the 1st March. And it would be helpful if subs
could be in as close to this date as possible.
Just a reminder, my address is Mary Le Mesurier-Foster, Membership Secretary,
Cherrytrees, Grove Road, Ash, Surrey, GU12 5BD. Cheques should
payable to ADORR Society.
Mary Le Mesurier-Foster
- This is a very important annual event. The AGM appoints members as
Trustees to run the Society for the next year. Trustees are there to keep
any eye on spending, fundraising, deciding what events we go to and to
check on people/firms that are working for us. A proper record is kept
of all transaction The next AGM will be on the 10th April at Medstead Bus
depot starting at 2pm. Every member is welcome to come and support the
Trustees. The AGM also gives a report of the past year and plans for the
- Unusual Photos
- Two unusual photos, the one on the left of a fire rescue truck towing
a double-deck bus (518) and on the right 462 EOT at Richard Pretious wedding
- AAA 508C under tow by a fire rescue truck. Photo Brian Aris
- 462 EOT at Richard and Catherines wedding
- The Society has been blessed with four attractive donations from members,
Member Phil Jacob donated £1000, John Peto donated £1000 and
Mary Le Mesurier-Foster £1000. After their house sale Mary and Ray
were able to donate £10,000 which should see enough funds to complete
the engine change for 488 and to get the chassis of the Dennis E into working
order. Tyres will be a big outlay costing about £4,000. The last
item on the list will be the body for the Dennis E and that could run into
£10,000 to £25,000. If this can be funded locally we will not
need to go to the Lottery for money. Gift Aid adds another £3250
to the donations, total = £16,250.
You can donate to funds by simply sending a cheque to The Treasurer,
Laurie Powel, Hampshire House, 204 Holly Road, Aldershot, Hants, GU12 4SE
- Engine Change For 488 KOT
- 488s original engine has served for well over 50 years and has
gradually been getting a little tired, has many oil leaks and the clutch
in poor condition. With the likelihood of C508AAA not being restored, we
decided to remove the engine and gearbox and after a good clean put it
into 488. There was quite an effort removing both engines and you will
see photos in this newsletter showing progress. Work on the engine is being
done by Charlie Lemon from the Isle of Wight who also is an expert on bus
and coach bodies. Derek and Ray have also contributed to the restoration.
With the engine back in (maybe a couple of weeks time) the rest of the
front of 488 will be replaced, the engine tested and all should be well.
There will also be a difference to 488 in that the gearbox is a 5 speed
replacing the 4 speed box, so MPH should go up to around 50 MPH instead
of the 40 MPH before. The engine from 488 will eventually go away for complete
restoration by a reputable Company and will act as a spare engine. We are
also in the process of re-painting parts of the bus exterior. Maybe in
the future we could look to have adverts on the outside, as it used to
have in the past.
- Part of the clutch workings, ready to go in
- Little Hitler (The tractor not the farmer!)
comes to the rescue to get 508s engine out.
- 488s clutch unit and gearbox
- 508s engine before cleaning and painting
- 508s engine all painted with gearbox attached
- The 1928 Dennis E Type Project
- We have been very pleased that Graham Green has taken on the task of
restoring the 1928 Dennis E type engine. There was a lot of extra work
needed when Graham discovered the shoddy work of another restorer, but
it is just the head gaskets to be done and the engine tested before it
comes back to Milland. We have a radiator that needs re-coring, but is
otherwise in good condition, and we have been getting bits off a chassis
to go onto OT8902s chassis, including the steering box and column,
engine mountings and many other bits. We have allocated £5000 to
have the chassis completely overhauled, cleaned and painted. The 488 engine
swap has delayed progress but we should be back on the restoration soon.
- Dennis E engine mounting
- Steering box to be removed.
All parts will be cleaned and where needed used to build up OT8902. Brakes
will be thoroughly cleaned and any asbestos removed, then relined. New
panels will be made.
- Gear change unit. This will be stripped down, degreased,
cleaned and all parts working. Finally painted silver.
Bus Outings for 2016
- 6th and 7th February. Bus running at Alton for FEBEX model railway
- 12th and 13th March. Bus running at Basingstoke Model Railway event.
- 17th April. LTPT event at Brooklands. Stall but static bus.
- 8th May. Basingstoke Festival of Transport. Stall and static bus.
- 21st and 22nd May. Bus running Four Marks Station to Village Hall.
Model Railway event.
- 29th May. Tilford Bus and Coach Rally, buses running from Station to
event and free tours.
Other events not yet confirmed.
- Society Details
- We are a registered charity No 1069954. Company No 3423760.
ADORR Society also owns Aldershot & District Traction Co Ltd
Registered Office: Hampshire House, 204 Holy Road, Aldershot, GU12 4SE
Email address: email@example.com (Chairman)
Phone: 01252311414 (Chairman)
The Society lease a barn at New Barn Farm, Milland and store two buses
at Medstead Bus Depot.
- © Copyright by ADORRS All Rights